Young children have been coming to learn through play at St. Thomas’ Church since the early 1950’s when Briars Nursery opened its doors in 1952. It offered a stimulating half-day program for children 2 1/2 – 5 years of age.
In September 1981, thanks to the vision and determination of Rev. Canon Michael Mckinely, Past Rector of the Church of St. Thomas’ Childrens Day Care Centre of St. Catharines opened its doors to provide Care for Children from 3 months up to 5 years.
In the early days, the Centre was open from 6:30am – 11:30pm, 7 days per week. As the needs of the community were assessed the Centre gradually reduced the number of days and hours care was offered.